Flock is enrolled in the voluntary Scrapie Free Certification Program (SFCP) - Export Category - Enrolled: 2012-10-30
A health tested/healthy flock. No OPP, no Johne's, no Soremouth (orf), no CL, no hoof issues.

Reservation & Contract Form

Check out the matings producing our 2020 lambs here. We are currently accepting reservations.  Make them soon, especially if you're interested in ewe lambs.
Visit our Shoppe for roving, raw fleece, yarn, handmade items, & more.

Purchasing a Sheep or Lamb


Registered Ram Lambs: $575.00 each
Registered Ewe Lambs: $625.00 each
Wethers (a castrated male): $300.00 each
Mature sheep, when available: prices vary

See Breeding Pairs in late summer for information on the following year's prospective lambs and to view their pedigrees.

See For Sale for information on sheep available after reservations have been filled or for the occasional mature sheep looking for a new home.

General Info

PLEASE NOTE: Sheep are flock animals. If you do not already have other Babydolls, you will need to reserve enough that each sex - ram, ewe, & wether - has a friend. This means 2 rams, 2 ewes, 1 ram & 1 wether, 1 ewe and 1 wether, or 2 wethers. It is rare a mixed flock (males & females) can be kept together 365 days a year. When they can't be, each sex has a friend to be with. A goat, an alpaca, a llama, a pig, a donkey, etc., are not Babydolls and do not fulfill this requirement.

BREEDING PAIRS: I do not encourage breeding ewe lambs their first fall. A ewe will be better equipped, in my opinion, both physically and emotionally if she has her first lambs when she is turning two years old. I advise one to purchase your ewes first and your ram the following year. In most instances, I would be able to provide an unrelated ram or rams if you choose to purchase them from me the following year. It is not often a spring born ram is not able to breed ewes his first year, even adult ewes. I have had success with all my spring born ram lambs I've used.

DISCOUNTS: You will receive a $25.00 discount, per sheep, for each additional sheep you purchase from me after the first. This applies to future years too; but, does guarantee availability of a sheep at any time. Discounts will be applied, by the seller, to your balance due at time of sheep pick-up or paid to the buyer at pick-up and are not reflected on the Reservation & Contract Form.

BOTTLE LAMBS: I will not pull a lamb from its dam in order to sell a bottle baby, nor do I sell lambs rejected by their mothers as bottle babies. They will have been weaned from the bottle before being sold at twelve+ weeks. If a ewe rejects the lamb, I think it is best for the lamb to stay with the flock. I do not raise any bottle babies as a "house pet". Lambs need to eat small amounts of milk on a frequent basis. When they are bottle-fed they are fed less frequently and they tend to guzzle the milk. As a result, they can get scours (diarrhea). Also, lambs need to be with the flock - learning how to be a sheep. Sheep are subject to being food for predators, they need a certain amount of "flight mentality" and they also need to learn flock dynamics.

GENOTYPE AT CODON 171: All sheep born will be either an RR or a QR. If you want to guarantee getting an "RR sheep", there will be an additional fee of $50.00, per sheep, due at reserving.  This fee will be non-refundable. This request MUST be noted on the reservation form when I receive it along with your deposit.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING TRANSPORTATION: Most buyers pick-up their sheep. Other forms of transportation can be discussed with me on an individual basis and some details are covered on the Reservation & Contract Form.

To make a reservation with me, fill out my Reservation & Contract Form, which is a fillable PDF or it may be printed and filled out by hand, and mail it to me along with your deposit.

Lambs are born, now what?

After ALL the lambs are born for the lambing season, I will contact the reservation holders regarding their specific lambs. I often have repeat buyers who need unrelated sheep so must wait until all the lambs are born. Please note, shepherdess (me) has first pick of any lambs regardless of reservations received.

Lambs will be weaned and ready to go to their new homes approximately twelve weeks after they are born. The reason I say approximately twelve weeks is because it will depend on the health of the lamb. If at the end of twelve weeks the lamb is ill or not thriving for any reason, then it will remain at the farm until it is healthy. Lambs will need to stay at Bergamascos' Babydoll Brigade for the entire twelve weeks, later born lambs may be a bit younger. Please do not request they be weaned sooner, as I believe it is in the best interest of the lamb to stay with its mother for this length of time. This ensures the lamb will be better able to handle the stresses of shipping and a new environment.

If you'd like to make your final payment using a personal check, then it will need to be sent two weeks before the pick-up date that has been provided.

Other stuff

When you purchase a lamb/sheep BRED by me:

Each state has specific import regulations that must be met. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) with an Entry Permit Number issued by your state veterinarian (permit number is obtained by my veterinarian via a telephone call to your state veterinarian) most likely being one of them. As the seller/consignor, it is my responsibility to be in compliance with the import/export requirements of Kentucky and as the buyer/consignee, it is your responsibility to be in compliance with the import/export requirements of your state. If you purchase sheep from me, the CVI is required. I will facilitate this requirement. However, if your state requires any extra medical tests before import, the cost of the vet visit and any testing required will need to be paid for by the buyer with a phone call to my vet's office with your credit card information on the day of the appointment.

Banner Magazine has put together a PDF listing health paper requirements by state. All Sheep Buyers & Sellers: Banner Sale Management strongly encourages all sale consignors and potential buyers to keep these pages of names and addresses for future reference. Contact your state Veterinarian Office and be sure that you are in compliance with the necessary regulations to transport your animals.
Sale consignors need to consider their state of origin as well as the state in which the sale is being held. Buyers need to be aware of the requirements to bring the animals from the sale to their home state. Both buyers and sellers need to also consider any states that they will be traveling through.
Banner Sale Management wishes to remind you that we provide the service of bringing buyers and sellers together, but it is you, the consignor, and you, the seller, that are ultimately responsible for knowing and complying with the State Health Regulations for the transport of sheep. All information listed here is correct to the best of our knowledge.

The registries and transferring the lamb into your name

When you buy a sheep, its ownership needs to be transferred from the seller (me) to the buyer (you). To do this, one must be a member of the NABSSAR and/or the OEMBSSR.

Sheep purchased from me will have the sheep's Certificate of Registry (CoR) from the NABSSAR is included with the purchase of each sheep, as well as, the OEMBSSR CoR (If requested & an additional fee, per sheep, has been paid.  This fee will be non-refundable.). The sheep is registered and owned by ME. I will provide you with the sheep's original Certificate of Registration (CoR) or a copy of what I've sent to the registry if the registration paperwork has not been returned to me by the registry and I will mail you the original CoR once I receive it. You, the buyer, will be responsible for transferring ownership to yourself.

The steps for transferring your sheep/lamb are:

Now you are a member of the registry and the sheep officially belongs to you, the buyer. This now makes it possible for you, the buyer, to register any offspring from this sheep if its other parent also has a CoR from the same registry.

NABSSAR - Currently memberships range from $15.00 to $30.00 per year, unless you purchase a lifetime membership. Sheep registrations range from $8.00 to $18.00 and sheep transfers are $4.00. http://www.nabssar.org

OEMBSSR - Currently memberships are $70.00 per year. Sheep registrations are $15.00 and sheep transfers are $15.00. http://oldeenglishbabydollregistry.com

I reserve the right to refuse the sale of a sheep for any reason.

Any questions, ask for Michelle
telephone: 502-352-7928
e-mail: babydoll_southdown_sheep@yahoo.com